We are on the look out for a brilliant, friendly and hands on designer to come on board for our next project. This will be an immersive, site specific, outdoor production pilot commissioned by a children’s charity, performed at a Dorking National Trust property.
This will be a highly visual, comic, physical show for families. There is the potential for further touring to other outdoor sites in 2019 after the pilot. If these proceed, further design royalty fees will be paid.
We are looking for a set and costume designer with experience in costume making and preferably in outdoor work.
You will need to:
- Make, source, adapt and fit 6 bespoke, weather appropriate costumes. Costumes are the key design element where set design cannot cover an entire woodland setting.
- Attend an initial site visit with creative team
- Design/ create 5 performance areas with very simple but effective design that can be easily installed
- Source/ make props
- Make/ source broader design elements, such as creative signage
- Help install designs on site
- Keep clear records of expenditure
- Manage any extra labour required for different design elements (carpentry, scenic work etc) – please note: it is unlikely our materials/ labour budget will be significant enough to pay for lots of external labour – we are preferably looking for a hands on maker who is willing to bring about the project fairly independently, although we understand this is not always possible.
Applications sent to email@example.com by 5pm on Thursday 8th March 2018 including:
- A cover letter detailing why you are interested in this project/ working with Zoo Co (this is the most important bit for us!)
- A portfolio of images/ designs for productions you have worked on – specifically examples of realised costumes/ outdoor work where possible
- ‘DELIGHT designer application’ as the email heading
FEE: £1500 covering costume and set designer fee and making with travel to Box Hill covered by Zoo Co.
(Separate materials/ labour budget).
12th March – Croydon
3rd – 5th April – Initial fittings
16th + 17th April – Final costume/ props delivery
18th and 19th – Final set delivery
Get in/ performance:
20th April (early morning)
Box Hill, Dorking